I Never Sleep

I'd much rather stay up with a nice cup of (caffeine free) tea and read a book. Strangely, I feel incredibly awake and more alive, my thoughts are clearer, moments from the day have been rewound and are replayed. Quotes from books, song lyrics, haunting notes and melodies all stick to the walls of my mind, but it isn't until night that they all fall and become a hypnotizing vortex that drags me in.


I marvel in the beauty of the silenced hours between night and morning. Sometimes, when I am forced to turn my light out and can no longer read, I use music to fill the empty minutes. Usually, I am lulled to sleep by the works of Chopin or Dario Marianelli (keeping up with that vortex is exhausting) but the other night nothing was working and it was already a little past 3 in the morning.

So what did I do? Scrolled through the albums on my iPod of course. (I pause to add that my habit of adding full albums to my iPod and never listening to them all the way through proved to be an advantage that night.) I found myself, for the first time, playing the Marie Antoinette soundtrack from start to finish.



Perhaps, I was just delirious from sleep deprivation but still I'm feeling quite un-delirious now as I say that that soundtrack was amazing. I loved it. As some parts played, I saw snippets of scenes from the movie in my head and during others I imagined myself in some sort of secret garden, wandering aimlessly, with the moon as my flashlight...

That is how I spent the next hour and a half and that is how I remembered it the next morning as I woke up after barely an hour of sleep.

I never sleep but I should. My sister says I'll have permanent dark circles under my eyes before I'm 20.
blog comments powered by Disqus