REWIND: Week 1 In Reverse

Bonjour! And welcome to my new segment! Every Monday, experience several highlights from my week. Shall we? *Note: The most recent event will be first and the oldest event last, hence the descending numbers.

4. Jazz up my life
I love Jazz music. Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong.. There's something about jazz music, I find it really relaxing. It's the kind of music that I like to play when I want to close my eyes and just listen. Today, I played Sarah Vaughan songs countless times. Hearing her sing My Favorite Things was simply amazing.

3. The Victorious
I am victorious. Yes, I have found a bag for school. I came across this beautiful bag while strolling about in TJMaxx yesterday. Once I scurried over to inspect, I find out that it's huge! It can hold tons. I was so excited when I found it, but I was also really relieved. My journey for the perfect bag was finally over! Yay! And it only cost $15. Double yay!


2. I've Got the Shakes
My euphoria died rather quickly once I got home and saw that the clock said 3:00. My first thought was, "2 more hours until that interview." The actual interview didn't happen until 7. So there I sat at my desk, 4 incredibly hard hours of waiting and glancing at my phone every 3 seconds. Then the phone did rang.. I felt like I couldn't breathe, but my disloyal hand reached for the phone anyway. And the interview began. During the first 15 minutes of the interview, my hands were shaking a lot. At one point, I thought that I would drop the phone. Thankfully, I didn't and the interview grew increasingly better as it went on. I think that a had some pretty O.K. questions, but delivering them was quite difficult, sometimes I felt like I was speaking an entirely different language. Aha. Most importantly, I did get through it. My right hand did hurt a bit from the marathon of heavy writing after almost 2 months of complete typing, but I don't care. I've got my notes and I am ready to write that article.

1. The Future is near, but so is the Past
This week, I've been reading my old journals and after going through them all, the only one left to read was my present one. Mind you, I haven't written in it since April, so it was fascinating to read my reflections on the past year. Usually, I start a new journal before school starts every year or two. I think that I am constantly changing all the time and school takes up a vast part of my year, so for me, it's during that time that a lot of changes occur.

Reading my old journals made me think a lot about who I was. Everything was so different. The type of pens I liked, the music I listened to, my friends, the way I talked, the type of books I read. Changes. I notice them all the time. Going shopping for school supplies, I find myself disgruntled because I can't find anything that isn't pink. Not even a year ago, my walls were lavender and I purchased mountain loads of pink notebooks and folders.

I can't seem to detect when exactly this shift occurred. Perhaps that's why I decided to read my journals in the first place, maybe I was searching for some documentation of the person I was. Pouring over them, I've nothing about fashion written, I didn't read fashion magazines. I don't remember why I insisted upon picking out my own outfits as a child or what, exactly, made me want to buy a pair of black wedges three years ago. I don't recall any inspiration for the outfits I wore. I just bought the shoes, I just wore an outfit.

I was busy with other things, subconsciously writing the story of my life, not noticing the changes that happened with each turn of the page. Yet, here I am. On this page called the present, with a new word added every passing second, the midpoint between past and future. And while most will point out the blank page that lies to the right, the one representing the future, I see that the past is not that far away. Yes, it's true that the future can be whatever you choose, but things can always changes. And just like that, the past can be back again. 


(^^ Left: Journal from 2003. Right: Journal from 2008.)
Hope you enjoyed the new segment!
Au Revoir,
La Femme Chic
blog comments powered by Disqus