Are they enough?

In this day and age, with the human population growing more and more every minute of every day, I often wonder how we all gain our places in the world..

My memory drifts to life as a 12-year-old, sitting outside during a Writing Through Literature class at my summer enrichment camp. Our teacher instructed us to write about something we saw. Even now, I can remember the green, green grass and how the trees stretched to some unknown distance. But the thing that still replays itself vividly in my mind is the crystal blue sky, with the spasmodic dusting of clouds, like a curved dome of a museum ceiling. It expanded in a graceful arc over all human life everywhere. Life at that moment was like living inside a snow globe, frozen in time. And right then the world felt so incredibly vast.

Now several years older and measurably more wise, I can't help but think: in this huge snow globe called Earth, how do we all successfully avoid being alone? How do we somehow live with "sameness" and "differences" defining so many parts of our lives? In short, what makes each of us different? Each of us similar?

Do our talents, dreams, and passions become the unique qualities we possess? Are we forced to look past the fact that millions of others may share the same talents, dreams, etc. in order to firmly declare our individuality?

Are our wardrobes enough to distinguish us from the rest of the world?

I cannot bring myself to believe that the clothes we buy are enough to set us apart from everyone else.
Because, in truth, these clothes are most likely not rare or one in a million; people all over the world can own the same pair of pumps you have in your closet. But the few things that cannot be identical are the things on the inside. You may not be the only one with those pumps, but you are the only one who wears them the way you do. I see personal style as the reflection of your inner self, solidified by the clothes (and how you wear them) on the outside.
That's one of the most beautiful things about fashion. Even if there are countless styles and tastes, fashion allows us to connect with people in the faintest of ways and uniquely stand out at the same time.
What do you think makes each of us different?
I would love to hear any feedback you have about this post or just the blog in general. Leave me a comment or email me. I promise to respond. :)
Au Revoir,
La Femme Chic

blog comments powered by Disqus